If you are planning a modern farmhouse tile project like a kitchen or bathroom, you’re going to love these ideas! This article also features a step by step tutorial for how to tile a floor, which is a project that even a beginning DIYer can take on.
When I was making the design plan for our modern farmhouse bathroom, one of the most exciting design choices was the tile flooring. I’m kind of obsessed with the look of white carrara marble, so I knew I wanted to go with something like that. But the fun part was selecting a shape and size of the farmhouse tile.
There are so many options nowadays for tile flooring that it can be a little overwhelming. So I’ve got done the hard part for you. I’ve narrowed it down to 9 great options for modern farmhouse tile!
This farmhouse tile post contains affiliate links, but nothing that I wouldn’t wholeheartedly recommend anyway! Read my full disclosure here.
You’re going to love these modern farmhouse tile ideas!!
Aren’t they all amazing?! I know…how did I ever decide between all of these modern farmhouse tile ideas?
Here are some tips if you are deciding on tile for your home renovation project.
- Definitely order tile samples! Even if you are purchasing your tile in person, rather than online like we did – samples are crucial when selecting tile. It is so helpful to me able to hold the tile samples up to your furniture, paint, decor, and even other coordinating tile.
- In our modern farmhouse bathroom, we’re planning on a whole wall of subway tile and the entire shower will be white subway tile was well. This definitely became a factor when we were deciding on the farmhouse tile for the flooring. I wanted something with a unique shape, design and size to complement the white subway tile.
- It was crucial to hold the tile samples next to the subway tile before ordering.
Wondering how to tile a floor?
Selecting the tile is the fun part, but once you have your farmhouse tile, you’ve gotta learn how to tile a floor! Before you learn how to tile a floor the space needs to be prepped so you aren’t dreading the entire process. Since you probably already decided to tile your floor, you’ll need to get all the proper materials for the bathroom floor tiles you selected.
Supplies for installing bathroom floor tiles:
- 1/4” WonderBoard
- Cement Board Screws
- Bathroom Floor Tiles (of course)
- Thin Set Mortar (be sure it is the right kind for your bathroom floor tiles)
- Chalk Line
- Tile Saw
- 5 Gallon Bucket
- Grooved Trowel
- Rubber Mallet
- Grout (be sure it is the right kind for your bathroom floor tiles)
- Rubber Grout Float
Ensure level & clean floors
Line up tile placement
Lay out bathroom floor tiles
Mix up thin set mortar.
Start laying bathroom floor tiles
Wait 24 hours before grouting bathroom floor tiles
Apply grout to bathroom floor tiles
Wash tile surface
Ready for our week 4 update of our modern farmhouse bathroom renovation??
First of all, let me remind you that we’re sharing the renovation as part of the One Room Challenge, which is a bi-annual event where hundreds of bloggers join together to renovate one room in their home and share about it over 6 weeks. Be sure to check out all of the rooms getting renovated here.
If you’re just joining us, be sure to go catch up on all of our One Room Challenge posts:
- One Room Challenge Week 1: Bathroom Renovation Pictures (Before)
- One Room Challenge Week 2: Modern Farmhouse Bathroom Mood Board
- One Room Challenge Week 3: How To Stay Organized While Renovating (+ Free Project Planning Worksheet)
- One Room Challenge Week 4: (you are here!)
- One Room Challenge Week 5: Shower Tile Installation Tips & Tricks
It’s been a slow moving week since we finished the tile floors (which was 2AM the day of our update last week!). If you remember last week, I mentioned that we were in the middle of a big deadline because we had to get the vanity installed on Thursday before the countertop company came to measure the same for the template.
Well, we made it. Woohooo…it was a doozy though.
Now, the countertop people are coming back out tomorrow morning with the finished countertop to install it. Keep an eye on my IG stories for some sneak peeks tomorrow!
Yesterday we did make some more progress on the other items. We got the shower niche installed, so that will get tiled next week!
We also started installing the flange for the toilet (and discovered some measurements were off, yikes). So we are making some more adjustments to the flange so we will be able to install the toilet soon.
We also purchased everything else we needed for the bathroom. I had been doing some major procrastination while I finalized some design choices, which were really stumping me!
- I had originally ordered these square bathmats from Target and while I do love them, the size just wasn’t right for the vanity. So after searching HIGH and LOW, I finally discovered that a lot of Magnolia’s rugs are sold in a size that works with our double vanity – 2′ x 3’9”. I ordered this one from Pier 1.
- We were looking for a narrow vanity light for above the mirrors and everything I was finding was 20”+. I finally found one that I liked from Amazon, but when I went to order it, there was only one left. I did a quick Google shopping search and saw that several other retailers sold it. No big deal. When I proceeded to actually order it from the other retailers, they were ALL on back order 3-4 weeks, which just ain’t happening for One Room Challenge. After over one week of searching, I decided to start over from scratch. I decided on these new two light vanity lights from Amazon that I love. And the best part? They were in stock and arrived quickly. Whew.
Here’s the full to-do list for our modern farmhouse bathroom renovation:
Build wallsLearn how to build a wall here! Install electrical Rough in plumbing Install exhaust fan/light in water closet Installed insulation Build divider wall for water closet Install pocket door on divider wallLearn how to frame a door in a wall here! Install bathtub drain Hang dry wall Hang wonderboard on walls & lay on floors Texture dry wall Lay tile floors Seal tile floors Grout tile floors Install vanity
- Install toilet flange
- Install countertop
- Paint ceiling
- Paint walls
- Tile surround in shower
- Tile wall behind vanity
- Install trim & baseboards
- Install vanity faucets
- Install toilet
- Add vanity lights
- Hang bathroom lights
- Install bathroom accessories
- Make DIY wall art
- Hang shelves above toilet
Huge thanks to our official sponsors of this renovation!
Want more behind the scenes looks at our modern farmhouse renovation?
If you want tons of behind the scenes update on our modern farmhouse bathroom One Room Challenge renovation, the best place for you is my Instagram Stories!! If you want to catch up from the beginning, head over to my Instagram profile and click on the “New Bathroom Build” highlights button. Be sure to follow our account to see you can see the day to day updates and help us out with decisions like these below…Our IG followers helped us already by giving us feedback on dividing walls for water closets and the floor tile options!