Looking for a way an easy way too more color or character to your home office space? Try one of these gorgeous office accent wall ideas.
If you’re blessed to have a home office, you may be struggling with a way to design it so that it doesn’t look so boring. I mean, really all a home office space is usually a desk, chair, computer, and maybe some storage.
So if you are feeling like your office walls need some help, try adding a feature wall in your office!
What is an accent wall or feature wall?
An accent wall is choosing to add something to one wall in a room to make it the focal point of the room.
An accent wall could be as simple as painting the wall a different color, adding geometric shapes or designs with wood, installing built-in bookshelves, or adding peel-and-stick wallpaper.
Adding an accent wall is a great idea in a home office room to get the room a pop of color or add more visual interest to your otherwise boring walls!
What should you consider before adding an accent wall to a room?
- Make a plan: Consider the size and layout of your home office and choose a wall to use as your accent wall. Typically, accent walls are placed on the wall that the eye is naturally drawn to first when entering the room, like the wall facing the entrance. But there are so specific rules here!
- Purpose: Figure out what the purpose of the accent wall will be in your office. Is it just to enhance the aesthetic appeal of the room or to balance out the room? Do you need the feature wall to be functional (like improving the acoustics or providing extra storage)?
- Design and color: Consider what the design elements of the feature wall will be, including colors, textures, and patterns. Make sure that they fit with the overall look and style of the room and the other colors. You do want your accent wall to stand out, but you also want it to feel cohesive like it fits in the room. If the room already has a neutral color scheme, a bold color creates contrast. But if the room already has a lot of other colors going on, a more subtle accent color might be a better choice.
- Budget: Determine the budget for your accent wall, including the cost of the materials, installation, and any additional things you’ll need, like lighting or artwork. Painting an accent wall is pretty inexpensive, but something like adding wallpaper or installing built-ins can be more costly.
- Storage: Consider incorporating storage elements into the design of the feature wall, such as shelves or cabinets to help your home office clean and clutter-free. Several of these office accent wall ideas also have storage!
20+ Office Accent Wall Ideas
There are SO many different things you can do to create a feature wall. Get inspired with these 20+ home office accent wall ideas!
There’s a little bit for everyone here! From bold colors to more muted tones, from large home offices to getting creative with a small space, these office wall designs are sure to inspire you!
Home Office Accent Walls
DIY Giant Pegboard Wall
Do you need more storage for your office & craft supplies? This giant plywood pegboard DIY turned out so well. The unique abstract color blocks that we added with simple wall paint add a little personality!
I was surprised by how easy it was to create a giant pegboard using plywood, a 1" drill bit, and a drill guide.
It is very versatile because you can add shelves, slings, hooks, decorative elements, and more to your wall. It was the perfect choice for our boho home office.
Painted arches are the latest fun interior design trend! A painted arch is a great idea to add to the wall behind your computer desk. You can use vibrant colors or more neutral colors!
Learn how to paint an arch like a pro with this step-by-step tutorial. If you want a quick and easy way to update your office room look no further!
Sage Green Office Built Ins with Desk
If there is one thing that your home office probably needs, it is storage - right? I love this built-in bookshelf, cabinet storage, and computer desk made entirely with IKEA supplies!
This would also work on a wall in a dining room if you don't have a dedicated office space but still need a spot for a desk in your home.
DIY Home Office Accent Wall with MDF
This DIY home office accent wall comes together quickly with MDF and paint for an affordable option!
When you create a beautiful feature wall like this, you don't even need to worry about wall art. It's a great backdrop to the computer desk, don't you think?
Dark Beadboard Accent Wall in the office
Beadboard painted with dark colors, like black, is a great way to jazz up one of the walls in your home office. These wall sconces and the cutout logo just add even more character to this wall.
Wallpapered Accent Wall for Office
If you are looking to add some “wow” to a room, have you ever considered doing a wallpaper accent wall?
This pattern could have felt like it was "too much" for the whole room, but it looks great on just one wall as a splash of colors to the otherwise white walls in this space.
DIY Faux Living Wall
This accent wall is pretty epic! She covered the ENTIRE wall with faux plants. The base of the wall is covered with astroturf and then netting is added so there's a place to hang the other various faux plants. Looks amazing, right?
Wall Mural [in less than 2 hours!]
Give your home office a beautiful and bold accent wall with a wall mural. You can install the whole thing in just a couple of hours.
The best part is that there are so many different designs out there, so you can truly choose something that works for you and your entire space.
Tiled Wall in She-Shed Office
This office space is actually in a she-shed in her backyard, how cool is that? One of my favorite things about the space is the wall where the door and window are which is tiled with a beautiful hexagon tile pattern! This is such a good idea!
Plaid Painted Wall In Office
I've seen plaid fabric, pillows, furniture, area rugs, and carpet, but never before have I seen a painted plaid wall!
Her tutorial walks you through the best way to get this look and she promises that there are only a few measurements and no math. Now that I can get behind!
DIY Computer Desk with Vertical Shiplap and Floating Shelves
Sometimes you don't have an entire room to use as a home office, so this DIY computer desk is a great way to add a small office space to your living room.
The black accent wall with the vertical shiplap and shelves is absolutely gorgeous! This would make a great homework station for your kids too!
DIY Wallpaper With A Sharpie
Now, this idea is totally budget friendly and turned out amazing. This office accent wall may look like it is wallpaper, but it is actually made with a Sharpie marker!
She starts with vertical stripes and then creates the geometric pattern from there.
DIY Fabric Covered Wall
Here's another wall that totally looks like wallpaper, but it isn't. She used a pretty floral fabric and attached it with spray adhesive.
This is a surprisingly simple DIY that makes a dramatic difference! Amber mentions that in her home office, she wanted something bright, colorful, and fun. She wanted it to reflect her personality and that would make her happy every time she walked in.
Once she discovered that wallpaper was way out of her budget, she decided to go another route with the fabric wall idea! It really turned out beautiful!
Decorate Walls With Fabric
Here's another take on the fabric wall, but this time it is attached to the wall with only straight pins (could also use nails). This is a great addition to any office space.
And this one is fun because it actually a closet inside an office, which is such a creative idea if you're short on space! Check out these other inspiring closet office ideas here!
Wall with Bookcases
This bookcase wall not only provides a ton of storage for books and more but it looks gorgeous. She has a greige color painted on the other walls but uses an accent color of white paint on the shelves so they stand out.
I love the little nook in between the shelves for a couch and pretty art pieces.
Jungle Wall Mural
This office space is really bold and beautiful! And the pretty wall mural with a black-and-white jungle design is the star of the show. It is definitely one of the first things you notice when you look at the room.
There are also other color variations of this mural if you're interested in something with more color.
Vertical Striped Painted Wall
Accent walls can also be created with JUST paint, like these painted stripes on the wall. This tutorial walks you through the easiest way to get this look with paint.
She uses neutral paint colors here, but you could do the same thing with bright colors too. You could also do the same thing with horizontal stripes too!
How to Make Any Wallpaper Removable & Renter-Friendly
Here's another example of an office space that is in a living room. This wall is a great way to use the wall space to create your own home office or homework station. And that wallpaper is so pretty, right?
This tutorial walks you through the process of installing unpasted wallpaper using liquid start so it can easily be removed later. That is a great tip for you are renting!
Read more to see the whole process of installing temporary wallpaper.
Closet Office with Handpainted Accent Wall
Another cloffice that turned out great! That accent wall may look like wallpaper, but it is actually hand-painted! She started by painting the wall white and then added the modern brush stroke pattern to the wall with a paintbrush and black paint.
A handpainted wall like this, instead of wallpaper, is much cheaper and it requires about the same amount of time as it would apply wallpaper. Plus, it is fun!
Green Accent Wall with Shelves and 2-Person Desk
This wall gets new life with a fresh coat of paint and then some pretty floating shelves and pegboard on the wall combined with a plywood top on IKEA filing cabinets for a fun and easy desk. I love that there is enough room for two people to work at this desk too!
Related Reading - Check out these other green accent walls for more inspo!
Geometric Accent Wall in Home Office
This geometric wood accent wall is gorgeous! It was super inexpensive to make and it gives the room the perfect amount of texture and visual interest without overwhelming the small office space.
Even though this is a specific post about home office spaces, a lot of these feature wall ideas could be incorporated into other rooms too – like your master bedroom!
What else can you do to add more character to your home office?
It doesn’t stop with accent walls, there are so many other things you can do to add more character to your home office space!
- Personalize your space with decor. Add personal touches like family photos, artwork, or plants. For an office space, it is important to display items that inspire you and bring you joy.
- Use color. There are a lot of other ways to add more color to your office, outside of adding an accent wall. You can add pops of color on a budget with accessories like a new desk chair, throw pillows, or a rug.
- Get creative with storage. Get your office organized and add style at the same time with creative storage solutions. Floating shelves, baskets, decorative boxes, and bookshelves are all great additions to your office.
- Lighting. Use a variety of different light sources in your home office. Think desk lamps, wall sconces, and floor lamps. This ambient lighting can create a more cozy vibe in your home office.
- DIY projects. If you know me, you know that I will also recommend DIY something over buying it. There’s something so fun about making things yourself for your home! You could add easy DIY projects for your office like a DIY desk, DIY bookends, crate bookshelves, hexagon cork boards, DIY magazine holder, desk calendar, headphone stand, or even a DIY kraft paper roll holder.
Are you feeling inspired yet??
Which of these home office accent wall ideas is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!