Looking to add more character to your backyard or curb appeal to your front yard? Build a wall for vertical garden pots! This easy woodworking project turns out SO good!
Thank you to Kreg for sponsoring this outdoor wall for vertical garden pots build! All opinions are entirely my own. This post also contains affiliate links, but nothing that I wouldn’t recommend wholeheartedly. Read my full disclosure here.
We’ve got BIG plans for this backyard and we’re hoping to be able to completely redo the whole yard this Summer. (UPDATE: See how the backyard makeover turned out here!)
You want to see more of our big backyard makeover??
- Family Friendly Backyard Plan: Our Next Big Project (BEFORE Pictures)
- Large Chalkboard For Backyard With Live Roof
- Easy Garden Tool Storage In Backyard Shed
- DIY Build for Outdoor Vertical Garden Pots (With Free Plans)
- Mulch for Playground: Why We Chose Rubber Play Bark
- How to Plant Grass Seed
- How To Create A Cozy Patio
- How To Build A Paver Patio with Fire Pit
- How To Build A Fire Pit With Pavers
- Our Backyard Makeover Before and After Pictures
- How to Build a Wood Fence In Your Backyard
- How To Make a Wooden Gate for Your Fence
- How To Lay Deck Boards (and hide the screws!)
To really get our minds right and ready for a backyard makeover, we’re starting with a super simple woodworking project to add more character to the backyard. We built an outdoor plant wall with vertical garden pots! And it turned out SOOOOOO good, guys!
Once the whole backyard is done, this will fit it perfectly with what we have planned…but for now, with a yard full of dirt and weeds…it’s motivation to keep working!
Related – Looking for more easy woodworking projects?
Kreg Pocket Hole System
We incorporated pocket hole joinery into this build, which is one of the easiest ways to join wood in woodworking projects. We have Kreg’s K5 Master System and LOVE it. It’s a hidden weapon for beginning woodworkers!
For this fun DIY (and SUPER EASY) woodworking project we teamed up with our friends Kreg again to create the plans and share them online for free, which are now available on KregTool.com!
If you’re wondering, Kreg Tools’ website is full of easy-to-follow woodworking plans that are all available for free! I promise that you are going to find so much inspiration while you are there!
Related – Projects that use a pocket hole jig
- Kid’s Cabin Bed
- Planter Box for Front Porch
- Table Top
- Outdoor Plant Wall
- Farmhouse Sink Cabinet
- Mudroom Lockers
- DIY Desk Calendar & Wooden Pencil Holder
- DIY Dress Up Storage for Kids
- Picture Ledge DIY
- DIY Firewood Rack with Roof
- DIY Cane Headboard
- Boho Nightstand with Cane
- DIY Behind the Couch Table with Outlet
- DIY Headphone Stand
- DIY Cookbook Stand
- Easy DIY Grill Utensil Holder
- DIY Deck Box for Outdoor Toys
- DIY Towel Rack Made With One Board
- DIY Tool Organizer Plans for Kreg Tool Stand
- DIY Mail and Key Holder
- DIY Step Stool for Toddler
- DIY Trash Can
Vertical wall planter – video tutorial
If you love DIY videos, don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel!
For this outdoor plant wall, we used mostly pressure-treated cedar wood, which is perfect for outdoor DIYs. Learn more about types of wood for woodworking in this article.
SOOOO good, right? I told you!
To finish the plant wall, we used black exterior paint. I love the contrast the terracotta pots have against that black paint. To put the paint on, we turned to our paint sprayer. Check out the full tutorial and learn all of our outdoor painting tips.
I’m in LOVE !
HOW MUCH DID IT COST TO BUILD THIS PLANTER WALL?
Note: these costs are, of course, subject to change and may be different in your region.
Here’s a full cost breakdown for you:
2×4 Pressure Treated Lumber (4 at $4.88) – $19.52
2×6 Pressure Treated Lumber (6 at $7.27) – $43.62
Exterior Paint – $19.48
Perlite – $4.97
Cactus Soil – $4.97
Succulent Rock Mix – $21.95
Terra Cotta Pots (9 at $1.47) – $13.23
Pot Holders – $21.99
Mini Succulents – $32.99
TOTAL COST OF PLANT WALL – $182.72
And for just the plant wall & wall planter pots, but not filling the pots (if you have something else in mind to plant) it’s only $117.84
This DIY plant wall for vertical garden pots was seriously SO so easy to build and it’s even easier for you because we’re giving away the free woodworking plans that you can follow.
I was able to build this plant wall entirely by myself without Logan’s help, so I’m feeling pretty proud. But that also means that you can do this too! Even if you’re a beginner when it comes to woodworking – you can do this!
Other Outdoor Garden Ideas
This outdoor plant wall is not the only way you can incorporate a garden or plants in your backyard! Check out these other outdoor garden and planter ideas!
- Renter Friendly Garden: How to Make a Vertical Garden with a Pallet
- DIY Cedar Raised Garden Beds | Cheap and Easy Waist High Garden Plans
- DIY Planter Box For Front Porch
- How To Make A Succulent Garden Bed In Your Front Yard
- 2x4, 72", Pressure Treated Wood (4)
- 2x6, 72", Pressure Treated Wood (6)
- Mini succulents
- Planter pot hooks
- 2 1/2" Blue Coated Outdoor Kreg Screws (24)
- 2 1/2" Exterior Construction Screws (16)
- Exterior Paint
- Terra Cotta Pots 6 in (9)
- Cactus Soil
- Succulent Rock Mixture
- 100% Silicone
- Steel rods (for hanging)
- Cut wood.
- Drill pocket holes.
- Assemble plant wall.
- Sand lightly.
- Add planter hooks.
- Plant succulents.
- Hang plant wall.
- (7) Slats, 1 1/2" x 5 1/2" x 39"
- (2) Top & Bottom Frame, 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 42" with 45 degree mitered edges
- (2) Side Frame , 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 43" with 45 degree mitered edges